PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell

dufc5
21-12-2008, 13:46
Are they in danger of going down?

Conceding soft goals. Not creating good enough chances to even think of getting a win. Their bench is poor you just have to look at yesterday when their two best players are injured they struggle badly. They should get out of it but football's a funny game sometimes.

Brown Knows
21-12-2008, 14:07
I think of the four down the bottom just now, Inverness look the dodgiest. Next weeks game between Motherwell and Inverness is going to be massive, a defeat in that one for either team could spell the end. Brewster might get a bit more time because of his history with the club, McGhee maybe more time due to last season (though the summer antics must have strained relations with the Chairman/board). Both have 1 point in 7 and that is sackable form...

proud2beanarab
21-12-2008, 17:31
I think of the four down the bottom just now, Inverness look the dodgiest. Next weeks game between Motherwell and Inverness is going to be massive, a defeat in that one for either team could spell the end. Brewster might get a bit more time because of his history with the club, McGhee maybe more time due to last season (though the summer antics must have strained relations with the Chairman/board). Both have 1 point in 7 and that is sackable form...

Yeah pretty much agree with that.

To answer the original question, if you are down there at this time in the season, yes they could go down.

Don't think they will though and fairly sure it will be between Hamilton and Inverness.....I said Hamilton even when they won their first few games and I'll stick to that

Fairplay
21-12-2008, 23:42
To answer the original question, if you are down there at this time in the season, yes they could go down.

Don't think they will though

Tend to agree with that. However the other teams down there (apart from Hamilton for obvious reasons) have more recent experience of a relegation dogfight than Motherwell. Sometimes that is the critical factor.

There isn't really a team bad enough to go down but somebody has to, that's the bottom line.

arab79
22-12-2008, 17:36
its amazing how many times teams have finished 3rd in the league then struggled the following year,plus teams like livi,st johnstone who even got relagated within a couple of seaons of finishing 3rd.

weegie_arabatta
23-02-2009, 13:42
What a difference two months makes. Bottom of the league at christmas, now they are top 6!

I have a good few Motherwell supporting mates and took great delight in their turn of the year predicament..... it might all have been a bit misplaced though.

proud2beanarab
26-02-2009, 11:24
Looking at relegation, I have a sneaky feeling that kilmarnock could yet be dragged right into trouble.

Think they are only 5 points above Falkirk and 6 above ICT.

ICT look to have enough under Butcher, which could leave Falkirk and Killie. Killie had a great start to the season so to still be nervous of relegation their form must be pretty hopeless.....they will still have to play Falkirk twice too I think so just fancy they may now be the team....

Cannibal
26-02-2009, 16:37
I think Falkirk will come down, not that i've seen them but i hope they do so we can get Stevie Lovell back ;)

FamousToepoke
27-02-2009, 09:03
Looking at relegation, I have a sneaky feeling that kilmarnock could yet be dragged right into trouble.

Think they are only 5 points above Falkirk and 6 above ICT.

ICT look to have enough under Butcher, which could leave Falkirk and Killie. Killie had a great start to the season so to still be nervous of relegation their form must be pretty hopeless.....they will still have to play Falkirk twice too I think so just fancy they may now be the team....

I agree with you about Kilmarnock, p2baa. I was surprised to hear on Sportscene this week that Killie haven't yet won an SPL game this year! That is not so good. (Mind you, we've only won one!) And yet Jim Jeffries has always done so well with them, had them over-achieving so often, that he now seems to be above media criticism as a manager. There's a long way to go and I think Killie could yet be looking over their shoulder!

dufc5
27-02-2009, 09:23
I think we could be looking at possibly the highest points total for a team going down in quite a while. I thought Falkirk had started to pick up their form recently but maybe last week's result will dent their confidence a bit. From a fans point of view I want Kilmarnock to go down but Jeffries is a good experienced manager and that could be enough for them to keep their composure on what will be a tight end to the season. This is one of the best season in years. The championship,relegation and european positions won't be decided until the last day I feel.

FamousToepoke
27-02-2009, 09:31
I think they said on Sportscene that 33 was the highest points total with which a team had been relegated. That could well be exceeded this season.

Fairplay
27-02-2009, 13:15
I think you may well be right Toepoke.

There was at least one thread even at the beginning of the season where we were saying the team to go down may well be the best team to go down for a long long time. Normally there's one, or two, or eve three teams not really up to the standard of the rest of the league for whatever reason. But this year there's nobody that would be bad enough to go down in a normal season - but somebody has to.

Brown Knows
27-02-2009, 13:46
I would definitely have had Inverness in the bracket 'bad enough to go down' in December, they looked terrible at the time. Some decent signings were made in January though, and Terry Butcher does have them looking organised at the back again, and some goals are now being scored. So I agree now, there isn't one team that looks like they are any worse than 5 or 6 other teams down the bottom. I think it is now between the bottom 4, but really can't pick one. St. Mirren and Killie are on bad slumps, but can't see them lasting (as long as they last the next two league games though)