Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McInnes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default McInnes

Taking over immediately fae Pa Broon. Jury's ay oot on new managers but think Aberdeen may have the guy for progress, stability & decent enough fitba, at last. I would've been ok wi him getting the United job. Another job SJS hasn't got ... his stock seems well down having failed wi Scotland, he may yet get the Ibrox gaff yet if Fat Sally gets the big E though.
    Tha mo bhŗta-foluaimein loma-lŗn easgannan

I would have thought Levein and Houston would have been a shoe-in for it.

Massive job and a massive opportunity for McInnes though.
    "If you think what you've done is the best you can do, you can't have very much to aspire to."

Quote Originally Posted by Kolinho View Post

The second Adams looked like Aberdeens first choice, Levein and/or Houston wouldn't touch it.

Egos don't accept being a second choice.

Sink or swim for McInnes this job IMO. I wanted him nowehre near Tannadice as our manager. I honestly don't rate him at all, as said when he was being spoke about for us, i think his signing record is fairly poor and unimaginative, His teams seem to provide a lack of an attacking touch and what jobs he was getting linked with before he left St.Johnstone was more to do with being a known name down south rather than catching the eye up here. At best, he was solid but very unspectacular.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on. Aberdeen fans don't have a great record of giving managers a chance, and a large number are pretty set against his appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolinho View Post

Aberdeen fan I know is happier with McInnes than Levein/Houston. Class the latter two as, old-style 'negative' managers now, and preferred a young guy like McInnes to get it.

Levein's Scotland reign might have done more damage to his rep than you think.

Hope he's a massive failure, delighted Levein didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010wedoneitagain View Post
    Hope he's a massive failure, delighted Levein didn't get it.
    Exactly this for me as well. Levein/Houston would have been an ideal fit for Aberdeen, they are in a similar state to what United were in before Levein took over. They need someone to rip it up and start again there as well.

If you look at the wage budget they must have they should be getting a much better return results wise than they are currently getting.
    ďIf he had been a player he would have been the first name on my team sheet every week.Ē - Craig Levein

Aberdeen are in a much better state than us when Levein took over.

Brown ha steadier their ship. I'd be concerned what Levein could do with a decentish budget

Thing with McInnes and Levein are that they are both comparable, but at different stages in their career.

Both did well with Scottish clubs, without outstanding results or performances (both arguably a bit on the defensive side).

Both went to England and flopped (I'd say that McInnes got the tougher job based on what I've heard about Bristol City's promises etc).

McInnes is effectively coming in at the stage that Levein was at when he took over at United, looking to build on some positives from earlier in his managerial career and re-establish himself.

Difference is that Levein would be on a different payscale to McInnes, in my opinion, especially if we were looking at him and Houston as a combo. Also, Levein's failure with Scotland was close to home for most Aberdeen fans and the board, they will not have missed the absolute **** up he made of that. Perhaps if we'd been looking a year down, the line, as he is a good club manager, but think it was all too recent in the memory.

I'll be interested to see what happens with him over the summer. This season has gone so far down the pan, I won't be judging anything till then.
    Everything you do is better
    Everything you say is right
    Anything I do, just won't do
    Still you find a way to justify
    Negative criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Knows View Post
    Both did well with Scottish clubs, without outstanding results or performances (both arguably a bit on the defensive side).

Both went to England and flopped (I'd say that McInnes got the tougher job based on what I've heard about Bristol City's promises etc).
    I'd disagree with this. McInnes did very little with St Johnstone truth be told. well certainly nowhere near enough to be getting considered for biggish jobs down south, He took a promotion chasing team up after initialy taking them backwards, in the SPL they were solid enough but super defensive. His signings were equally unimaginative. Levein took Hearts into europe 3 years on the trot and turned a team destined for relegation into a solid top end team filled with young talent plucked from obscurity, which ended up being a cup winning team.

Leicester and Bristol City are hard to compare, but Leicester were undergoing maor cost cutting and hadn't been that long out the EPL, the expectations were big, Levein had to do basically what Brewster did at United, clear out from the start and try to rebuild whilst taking them forward. i'd say that was a tougher job.

Quote Originally Posted by centoarab View Post
    I'd disagree with this. McInnes did very little with St Johnstone truth be told. well certainly nowhere near enough to be getting considered for biggish jobs down south, He took a promotion chasing team up after initialy taking them backwards, in the SPL they were solid enough but super defensive. His signings were equally unimaginative. Levein took Hearts into europe 3 years on the trot and turned a team destined for relegation into a solid top end team filled with young talent plucked from obscurity, which ended up being a cup winning team.

Leicester and Bristol City are hard to compare, but Leicester were undergoing maor cost cutting and hadn't been that long out the EPL, the expectations were big, Levein had to do basically what Brewster did at United, clear out from the start and try to rebuild whilst taking them forward. i'd say that was a tougher job.
    McInnes gets a bit of a bad rap for his time at St Johnstone, but looking back, it is nae that bad.

Coyle's team got pipped by Gretna in his last full season. He left during the next season with average form, and they in no way looked like being promoted. McInnes took over, continued that average form, finished third. He then took him up the next season. He also got a Scottish cup semi with a first division team.

First season in SPL - 57 goals. When is the last time Aberdeen did that? Dundee United have only beaten that once in last few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2...e#League_table

Admittedly the next season was a shocker in terms of goals and overall performance, but they still finished 6 points ahead of Aberdeen.

McInnes took St Johnstone to pretty much an equivalent level to what they've ever done in their history.

Levein did well with Hearts, but then they, alongside Aberdeen, should have been battling out for third/fourth at the time (budget/average crowds). We had Skovdahl fritter away money on foreign failures, then Patterson having to do a Brewster as you put it. To me, he only put together a team that pretty much that met the maximum expectations of a Hearts fan at the time (without the cup) which puts him on a par with McInnes at St Johnstone.

Another thing I will put to you is that St Johnstone fans seem more unanimous in their opinion on him, than Dundee United fans are on all things Craig Levein. He'd be welcomed back there with open arms if Lomas were to go, I think things are considerably different at Dundee United with Levein.

If McInnes wasn't ex-Rangers and a notable sympathiser over the last wee while, there'd be little to no issue with appointing him.
    Everything you do is better
    Everything you say is right
    Anything I do, just won't do
    Still you find a way to justify
    Negative criticism