Thread: When Is A Red Card Not A Red Card?

Default When Is A Red Card Not A Red Card?

When Sevco appeals against it apparently.

Morelos kicks out at and Aberdeen player and gets rightly red carded, Sevco appeal and the decision gets overturned. So what exactly is the rule for kicking a player now, does everyone get a free pass for kicking out at players, do the SFA actually know their rules, WTF are Clubs and players meant to think about this, it makes things very clouded and nobody knowing what the bloody rules are.

Fans and managers get frustrated with inconsistencies in refereeing but this takes it to a new level, the rules are very clear on this but it gets rescinded anyway, mon to feck, we need a bit of clarity here.

One of my pals is a referee (amateur & junior level) and he was telling me about this I can't remember if it was last summer or the summer before. The guidance for referees has changed on kicking out so that referees are now to consider likelihood to cause injury. The reason for this is that it was just silly having to send players off for a petulant flick of the toes.

To apply this to a couple of notable historical examples...

The "kick" that David Beckham got sent off for against Argentina in 1998. The referee would now be under guidance to issue Beckham with a yellow card.

Alan Shearer smashing his studs into Neil Lennon's face in the Leicester v Newcastle match. The referee would now be under guidance to award Shearer a knighthood.
    Acid on the radio, acid on the brain, acid everywhere you go, acid in the rain

Does that extend to lifting your hand towards a player's face, some of those are equally lightweight red cards, this is going to make things even more clouded than they are, all anyone wants are clear rules and officials following them consistently so everyone knows what they can and can't do/get away with. The holding and wrestling at set pieces is the best example of this, it's a different decision every time for the same offence.

Default When Is A Red Card Not A Red Card?

Turns out itís also not red if Scott Brown or Steven Naismith involved.

The elbow from brown is ridiculous, then again so is the petulant kick out by Naismith.

Maybe Iím being biased but was gunning not given a straight red v Celtic for something similar and lost the appeal.

One rule for one....
    Big Support - Team don't turn up

Different rules now for wee flicks with the foot at an opponent - so I am led to believe anyway

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.

الشعب يريد إسقاط النظام

I remember Scott Brown's kick at Naymar years ago being described as a "wee flick". Now, apparently, referees have to consider the force used and the likelihood to cause injury. In a word, ludicrous. Imagine a defender has a "wee flick" at a forward off the ball - while the action is at the other end of the park. He does it not once, but repeatedly, at regular intervals, just a wee flick every now and again, safe and secure in the knowledge that if he gets caught the worst he's due is a yellow. The forward is going to be mighty pissed off and is liable to respond sooner or later. He might snap and lash out. He's the one likely to be sent off. Unless he plays for one of the OF.

I was at a wedding over the weekend and a few guys were talking about football. It's amazing how quickly and how easily Gerrard has instilled a "victim mentality" at Rangers. Everyone is against them now. Officialdom, the authorities. Referees and the SFA and the SPL and the SPFL and the LGBTQ all have it in for The Rangers. I thought Celtic were traditionally the club with the chip-on-the-shoulder persecution complex. Well, in one way at least Gerrard has already achieved parity with their great rivals. What a nonsense.

Still crazy after all these years...

Quote Originally Posted by FamousToepoke View Post
    I remember Scott Brown's kick at Naymar years ago being described as a "wee flick". Now, apparently, referees have to consider the force used and the likelihood to cause injury. In a word, ludicrous. Imagine a defender has a "wee flick" at a forward off the ball - while the action is at the other end of the park. He does it not once, but repeatedly, at regular intervals, just a wee flick every now and again, safe and secure in the knowledge that if he gets caught the worst he's due is a yellow. The forward is going to be mighty pissed off and is liable to respond sooner or later. He might snap and lash out. He's the one likely to be sent off. Unless he plays for one of the OF.
    That stuff already happens though. I usually played at the back and the first time the opposing keeper had the ball getting ready to launch it long you knew what kind of game it was going to be. Some forwards would stand on your feet or elbow your ribs and if that happened then the next time you'd check that the ref wasn't looking and rake your studs down the back of his Achilles. And so it would continue like cat and mouse until full time or you both got fed up of it. It very rarely resulted in fists or somebody getting sent off tbh.

Another good one was the forward putting his hand back ostensibly to hold you off but giving you a nipple-twister into the bargain. I fell for that one a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by FamousToepoke View Post

I was at a wedding over the weekend and a few guys were talking about football. It's amazing how quickly and how easily Gerrard has instilled a "victim mentality" at Rangers. Everyone is against them now. Officialdom, the authorities. Referees and the SFA and the SPL and the SPFL and the LGBTQ all have it in for The Rangers. I thought Celtic were traditionally the club with the chip-on-the-shoulder persecution complex. Well, in one way at least Gerrard has already achieved parity with their great rivals. What a nonsense.
    They've always had that mentality, I find it more amazing that it took Gerrard so short a time to come out with the usual pysh. Think they must give them a book of quotes to memorise as soon as anyone becomes their manager/coach/director/chairman etc.
    He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how (Nietzsche)

Yes, you're right enough, aib. Gerrard did seem to slip into that groove almost instantly.

Still crazy after all these years...