Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paralympics

Default Paralympics

I have nothing but admiration for everyone taking part, apart from the druggies of which one has already been kicked out. My son is disabled and I would love it if he was in a position to compete in something like this. However, I would not want his travails plastered all over the tv and I can't help but think that this is just a 4 yearly guilt-fest which allows everyone to make a play suggesting that they care, when in reality in a month's time most of the competitors will be forgotten about and everything will be back to the way it was before. There will be a few that do care, friends, relatives and possibly those with direct links to working with disabled but I reckon most will find it painful watching.
    I don't think it is comfortable viewing. What about you?

I prefer it to the real olympics.

The competitors are there for the right reasons, to compete in the events and win for the glory alone.

It doesn't seem to be about egos or getting a cereal or Lucozade deal on the back of their achievements.

From what I've seen most of they competitors are thrilled to be there as well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Go.......Team Broonsleeves!

get ATOS on the case, most of these disableds would be declared fit to work on Zero hours contracts at Sports Direct

In a month's time most of the competitors in the "able-bodied" Olympics are forgotten about.

No offense, arabforbesie, perhaps your cynicism is justified, even earned, but I think that's a sad pov. Surely people can care or be compassionate without having had direct experience of working or living with disability? And I think the paralympics - and the surrounding hype and belated higher profile in the media - actually helps everyone see disabled people as people, first, and disabled, second.

As I say, arabforbesie, genuinely no offense intended, I'm of little experience in these matters. I just hope the strength and positivity of the first part of your post can help you come to terms with the doubts and fears of the second part.

Still crazy after all these years...

I will watch this and share in the enjoyment these athletes get from competing , the olympics bores me now and it's a sad state of affairs that this whole thing was nearly cancelled due to lack of money while the jingoistic **** fest has all the money it needs pumped into it , can also see where the op is coming from .

Quote Originally Posted by arabforbesie View Post
    I have nothing but admiration for everyone taking part, apart from the druggies of which one has already been kicked out. My son is disabled and I would love it if he was in a position to compete in something like this. However, I would not want his travails plastered all over the tv and I can't help but think that this is just a 4 yearly guilt-fest which allows everyone to make a play suggesting that they care, when in reality in a month's time most of the competitors will be forgotten about and everything will be back to the way it was before. There will be a few that do care, friends, relatives and possibly those with direct links to working with disabled but I reckon most will find it painful watching.
    I don't think it is comfortable viewing. What about you?
    Most of the competitors in the Summer Olympic Games get forgotten by a huge percentage of the population too.

You can name a few ones who break out and are popular beyond their sport in the Olympics and Paralympic events. Folk like Ennis, Bolt and the swimmer lass Ellie Simmonds. Gordon Reid at the tennis always gets press coverage with his success in the wheelchair tennis as well.

That's it started , should be in with the olympics and bin the tennis , golf , football .

This just reminded of the old blind football joke 😂

Go.......Team Broonsleeves!

The one where they put bells in the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post
    This just reminded of the old blind football joke 😂

What was the joke?