Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Super bowl lv

Quote Originally Posted by arabinblack View Post
    I was only yanking your chain

I'd a mate who played it and got a smashed kneecap, also ran a kids hockey tournament at a kids gala and one lad just about lost his eye, so no I don't think it was the soft option.
    Me too - funnily enough you get used to it when you play the game. Most folk think it is a lassies game which it is of course. I've enjoyed some great days playing it and don't regret giving up my season ticket at Tannadice to do something that actually got me fit and was a good outlet for built up aggression. I didn't see my brother's accident but the worst one I did see was a compressed fracture of the cheekbone caused by a ball hit so hard that the guy had 'slazenger' imprinted in reverse on his cheek for a week!

we got it at the rocky..there was 2 boys who were actually quite good at it and went on to represent scotland at various levels....the rest of us just used to see how many folk you could hurt by either blindly swing the stick or walloping the ball as hard as you could at somebody from about 2ft away.

It was a thing at Menzieshill to be honest (given Menzieshill are still a decent hockey team although that was linked to the community centre rather than the school) but I always opted for the footy or rugby and never actually played for Menzieshill. Played for Dundee East (a bunch of nutters) and the Uni when I was in Dundee. Remember games on the blaes against teams like Whitfield where you had to be a hurdler as well as a hockey player. Used to winter train at a blaes pitch up Whitfield way, cause it was free, can't remember exactly where but you were fairly pleased you had a hockey stick in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by super View Post
    we got it at the rocky..there was 2 boys who were actually quite good at it and went on to represent scotland at various levels....the rest of us just used to see how many folk you could hurt by either blindly swing the stick or walloping the ball as hard as you could at somebody from about 2ft away.
    Wha were they?